Back to School

When it's "back to school" time, I'm usually ready. This year has been no exception. The kids' arguing seemed to be getting a little louder lately, the excitement of playing outside seemed to be fading, and I think we've all started to miss the bit of sanity a schedule can bring.
So school started this week and I'm wondering where that sanity is?
I kind of forgot that with the start of a new school year also comes the start of all their other activities. They have to be driven to and from school each morning until our home is finished. Then they have to be driven everywhere else after school for scouts, ballet, Activity Days, piano lessons and whatever else they haven't signed up for quite yet.
I was looking forward to the moment I was home in the house with just MD, and a lovely level of quiet, just to hear myself sigh with relief, "Ahhh."
I'm still looking forward to that moment. I'm laughing at myself, yet I'm still hoping that I'll have a moment to look around the peaceful, clean home I envision and say, "Hmmm, what should I do today?" Don't laugh... it could happen!
Here's a rundown of Wednesday.
Got up at 6:00am.
Drive 20 mins. to get MA to middle school by 7:50am.
After MA dropped off, we sit in car at elementary school until 8:30am when other 2 kids start class. (not enough time in there to run home in between school times, but there is this whole 40 minutes of waiting. Gotta figure that out.)
Get home around 9:00, finish getting myself ready, and MD and I fed and dressed when MA calls to tell me she forgot her shirt (after dressing down for P.E.). Make a new 20 min drive out to school, and 20 min. drive home. Trev calls to tell me they messed up some paint stuff at the house, and I need to go over and meet with people.
After meeting, I'm on my way home again with the goal to get some exercise done, and house picked up a bit. But, phone rings before I make it home, and Trev needs a lunch brought to him at the office. He forgot one, and doesn't have a minute to run anywhere. Okay. Go home, make lunch, feed MD lunch, and head out to his office. Just about to drop it off when phone rings again. It's my mom. "Are you missing somebody?" she asks me. What? "Are you missing someone?" No clue what she is talking about. Turns out Wednesday is the kids' one early release day of the week, and I wasn't there to get MA so she walked to Grandma's house (luckily just down the street) and was waiting there. AH! I forgot about that! Okay, so I will drop off the lunch for Trev, and go get MA. Then I do the calculations and realize that since the other kids have early release too, I will have to go directly from the office to their school and get them first.
Okay...skip to the long drive to both schools, long drive home. I pull up in the driveway now (It's 3:00pm), and then I look at the car console and realize I have papers there that I was supposed to drop off at the builder's office at 2:00. I drop kids off at house, to turn right around and drive to builder's office. As I'm pulling out of driveway, Rachel shouts out, "Oh Mom! You need to go to the school office and get the picture packet for tomorrow!" Wasn't I just AT the school? Why didn't you tell me while we were THERE MA?? On my way to the builder office, I call the school. Luckily they are closed for the day. Unfortunately the builder's office is closed also. I drive home with a headache.
I walk in, tell the kids I need a rest for just a few minutes...fall on my bed and sleep for 20 mins. Somehow I managed to make dinner and help with homework after that.
I am not lying when I tell you that Tuesday was almost identical and of course Thursday morning MA and I had to go even earlier to school in the morning to get her picture packet before school started.
I filled the suburban gas tank on Tuesday morning, and by Wednesday night it was half empty. Hey, same as my enthusiasm and energy level!


Shelli said...

I just have to share with you that as soon as I was done writing this post, Gracie walked in (thought she was watching Sesame Street) with black pen covering her entire face and body. I guess Sesame Street just wasn't that interesting today.
Gotta run! Bath time.

Toni Cavallini said...

Oh Shelli - how do you do it? Is this what I have to look forward to? I hope your house finishes soon so you can have your sanity back.

How fun is it for you to have Rachel at Desert Hills? Does it bring back great memories??

Shelli said...

Ha, I was indeed having a bad week, but I'm thinking next week has to be better. I LOVE that Rachel is at Desert Hills. It is so much the same, you feel as if you never left! She absolutely loves it, and I'm so glad. She even has Mrs. Frasier and Mr. McLean, like I did! I keep telling her to tell "Jonesy" I'm her mom too when she gets the chance.

Toni Cavallini said...

Isn't "Jonesy" the principal now? Remember how intimidated we were by principals? I can't imagine Jonesy intimidating anyone!

I LOVED Mr. McLean! One of my all time favorite teachers. He'll be great for Rachel!

Shelli said...

Mr. McLean is already Rachel's favorite teacher too. Jones is the principal, and it was so fun to see him in the office. He came over, gave me a huge hug and introduced me to all the office staff(I think some of them are the same ladies that were there when we were too). Rach said the day she met him she couldn't believe he was the principal, because he came over to her little group of friends and made them laugh while chowing down on a huge pink doughnut.

Krista said...

Great Post! It made a little knot in my stomach, though, haha. That is why I laugh when people say, "Oh, you are a stay-at-home-Mom..." Yeah, sort of. I hope your next week is a bit slower. Love ya,

P.s. When Chels had basketball and I had to take the little ones along to drive Braeden 20 mins for piano, I kept a bag of crayons and color books, drawing paper and pencils, and books and wordfinds. It really helped on the days we couldn't go to the park nearby. Just an idea! xox